Gill's Chinese Adventure

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Birthday Weekend

















































































I wanted to thank everyone for the birthday wishes, cards, emails and gifts.  I had a terrific birthday and now I am 21!
For the big weekend celebrations, a group of us did some kareoke, went out to a few bars, had an American brunch.  Oddly enough, a boy in my program has the same birthday as me, therefore we shared the festivities.
Also on Saturday my school organized a trip to Cuandixia, an ancient Ming village located 90 km from Beijing.  I got to see the village and hang out with some of my chinese friends that I have not seen in a while!
Then on my actual birthday, I went to my internship.  All the children were so excited and they gave me many presents (alot of oranges, apples and paper decorations).  They also sang me happy birthday in Chinese!  I gave out American candy (Skittles and Starburst) to them as my "party favors".  It was really funny because some of the kids loved it and some of the kids spit it out.  Then my coworker Judy took me out for lunch.  She told me that in China it is a tradition to eat noodles with egg on your birthday.  This signifies good luck and a long life.  I had some noodles and other delicious chinese food.  Then later on that night, a whole group of people went out to dinner, again Chinese food.  Then on Tuesday, my program had a cake for me, which was very sweet.  The rest of the week has been pretty uneventful and I am looking forward to relaxing on the weekend.  I am going to post Birthday/Internship/Cuandixia pictures along with some random pictures of my life in China:

No comments:

Post a Comment